6.5 x 55 Swedish

I've been a bit confused about this so I hope I can get some clarity here.  

I know 6.5s of various flavor are all the rage now and I know how well they fare in comparison to a .308.  I was going to have one of my rifles rebarreled into a .260 Rem but I love .308 and have a lot invested in it even though I am positive my LT OBR can do anything  I need a .308 to do, I'm keeping the bolt gun.

I do have a great affinity for 6.5 Swedish as I have owned a bunch of Sakos chambered in it over the years.  It is an amazing cartridge and you should read what it accomplished in Africa over the years.  Also, it has a very well earned rep for accuracy.  It is a hammer.

It seems to get left out of the new 6.5 craze for a couple of reasons I am aware of.  First, is that it requires a long action while it's competitors do not.  Second is that in deference to older bolt guns out there it is loaded below its true pressure potential.  And that is where my question comes in.  Given its case size, if loaded to maximum performance shouldn't it be ballistically superior to the main contenders like .260Rem., 6.5 CM and 6.5x47Lapua?  I don't care about action length as I have an old school Sako AIII Hunter  .  That action is super strong and would definitely allow me to max out the Swede's potential.  I may have this rifle "tacticalized" or I do know of a Tac Ops in 6.5 Swede that is a beauty.  I am right/wrong in the comparison?

Thanks!

-------------------------

IT'S A COLT.  THEY'RE LIKE THE HK OF GUNS.

The Most Reverend Consig

Joined: 28 Nov 2004: 0037hrs        Location: The worst run state in the U.S

Original Post

I hesitate to correct you counselor, but I believe you mean 6.5x55mm Swedish, not Swiss.  Swiss is 7.5x55mm.  That said, the specs say the .260 Remington is ballistically about the same as the 6.5x55mm with lighter bullets and inferior with heavier ones.

6.5 has been a good cartridge for years.  I think the only reason it isn't as popular as the cartridges derived from .308 and .30-06 is the requirement for a long action and the base/rim diameter, which is slightly larger than the others.  The 6.5 is an aberration from the standard Mauser base, which is common for I think everything else, including the American .30 calibers. 

Maximum SAAMI chamber pressure for the 6.5mm is lower than the .308 based cartridges, but I think that is to keep it compatible with the 1894 and 1896 actions.  I think you'd be fine in a more modern, higher strength action.

Mark

Swear allegiance to the flag Whatever flag they offer

Never hint at what you really feel

Teach the children quietly For some day sons and daughters

Will rise up and fight while we stood still

Joined:  2/24/2003                          Location:  Nevada, USA

Nope Mark, please do not hesitate.  I'm just an idiot. So much for trying the new Lagavulin and posting.  My bad.  Yes, 6.5 x 55 Swede.

IT'S A COLT.  THEY'RE LIKE THE HK OF GUNS.

The Most Reverend Consig

Joined: 28 Nov 2004: 0037hrs        Location: The worst run state in the U.S

Counselor , I agree with you I too have a great affinity for that round (6.5x55 Swede) . When F class first started back in the early 90's we had a guy who shot at Butner pretty regularly who used an Ackley Improved version of the round He built the gun on a long 700 action and could push the 142 grainers @ 2900 . He was hard to beat . I am told by some acquaintances in Finland the round is still probably their most popular hunting round and is used on Moose with as much success as 7.62x54R The current trend towards short efficient cases with modern powders is probably the only reason you don't see it more here

ncshooter

I have a Model 96 in 6.5x55. It's one of my favorite surplus guns. One of these days, I'm going to get a Model 38. I've killed an army of milk jugs with the 96, and it was one of the rifles that my dad had no problem shooting, even as he got older.

"Hold my beer and watch this"

I love the 6.5x55 as well. I used to reload for it before the wife and kids. I would love to see more offerings for it. Just spit balling what kind of semi auto would be good for this round? The OAL is kinda long and could pose problems in that regard. I was thinking the BAR.

Witch

witch posted:

I love the 6.5x55 as well. I used to reload for it before the wife and kids. I would love to see more offerings for it. Just spit balling what kind of semi auto would be good for this round? The OAL is kinda long and could pose problems in that regard. I was thinking the BAR.

Well, the Swedes had BAR variants chambered 6.5x55mm. They also had Lewis & MAG as well.   AG42b (if you can get them) are accurate semi rifles & I used them hunting & in service rifle competition- the M94/96/38 users hated them.

My 6.5 X 55 Swede Ackley Improved custom rifle I made in gunsmithing school in 1996. '98 Mauser action (bolt face opened up & heat treated), Timney Deluxe trigger, new 2 position safety, Shilen Chrome-Moly Match Grade 5 1/2 contour 26" barrel, Fajen XX Claro Walnut stock with real Ebony forend tip, Vais Muzzle Brake, Burris Signature 4 - 16x scope, traditional Cobra carry strap:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of “loyalty” and “duty.” Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute – get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed.”

- Robert A. Heinlein

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Copyright Lightfighter Tactical Forum 2002-2016