Not to rehash the previous thread, but it seemed to have run it's course, and in a different direction.
So I've been planning on putting a dedicated "truck" gun in my POV so I can have something more significant than my pistol. I've been looking at many factors while looking at options. Many of the factors are at odds with each other, so I'm aware that whatever I end up with will be a compromise.
- Caliber- I would like to stay in 9mm or 5.56 because that's what I have on hand at any given time.
- Commonality- I have AR mags and G17 mags in my patrol car/vest/sustainment gear presently
- Price- having a $2500 rifle sitting in car unattended all the time is pretty shitty. I've traditionally stuck with cheaper rifles for this reason.
- Portability- a 16" barreled AR is pretty noticeable once outside the vehicle, so the smaller- the better. Ideally something that can be ready to fire out of a backpack.
- Power- it's got to be more powerful that a souped up 22lr, or what's the point?
- ATF avoidance- I would like to avoid having a class III for a truck gun.
Basically, I've narrowed it down to a CZ Scorpion pistol with a brace, or an AR pistol. (A Tavor would be perfect if it wasn't so freakin' expensive!)
I'm curious how much difference there is between 5.56 in a less than 10" barrel vs. defensive 9mm in longer than 6" barrel. I'm not closed off to other ideas, these options seem to be the best options so far.
Any experiences, opinions, or advice that can help?