Every review I've seen/read has been good.  Here's the most recent.

My only internal debate is whether to go with the 8.5" or 10.5" barrel.  My gut says go longer, but the literature says that is an emotional carryover from 5.56mm and a shorter barrel is perfectly good for .300.  The sweet number seems to be about 9", so 8.5" should be good.  And the offering I quoted essentially means that PSA assembled the upper, but the barrel (FN) and BCG (Toolcraft) are made by others and are upgrades over PSA made components.  Since their stuff seems to be perfectly good, an upgrade may be gilding the lily.

-------------------------

Mark

Swear allegiance to the flag Whatever flag they offer

Never hint at what you really feel

Teach the children quietly For some day sons and daughters

Will rise up and fight while we stood still

Joined:  2/24/2003                          Location:  Nevada, USA

RidgeDog posted:

I've seen that also - and similar - over the past month or so.  I hesitate because I know nothing of PSA. 

What say ye weathered and knowledgeable heathens?  Is PSA GTG?  Let's say  Hodge is 10 and Bushy is 1, where does PSA fall in relation to BCM and Knights?

RD

My experience with them -so far- has been disturbingly decent given the price point.

Then again when I ordered I fully expected some oddities.

I treated the upper / BCG just like any other I have bought.

I unboxed and immediately went into tech inspection and cleaning to include checking with go/nogo chamber gauges.

I did have to properly stake the gas key on the bolt carrier- but I also had to do that on the last S&W MP15 as well.

There were some other little nit-noid things but nothing to shit the bed about.

The PSA 300 pistol has been running pretty well for me and has  not choked or even hiccuped yet.

It hold minute of shithead well past 100m for me so- given the intent of this build- I'm fairly happy with it and I'm looking at expanding the roster some more.

Using a micrometer and digital vernier calipers- all of the critical dimensions match my colt and fn lowers- dead on.

So.. at 29 bucks for a bare lower... its hard to beat.

If you watch - you can catch complete lowers for 99$-129$.

As decent as things are going now- we're only a wet fart in church away from an era that could make the Clinton years look good. So I'm buying and building what I can.

------------------------------------- "A True Warrior knows neither Left or Right"  Looking for a doc who can fix my allergies.. Stupid People and IED's...

LOL! My 8.5” PSA upper continues to be “disturbingly decent”.  It’s become a truck gun for the summer until I decide what to build around the Aero M4e1 lower I have sitting in the safe.  It will be a pistol, I just can’t decide between 5.56 and .300blk.

I can say it will wear a Gearhead Works Tailhook Mod 2 brace because the silly thing is the best brace design I’ve seen yet. 

https://gearheadworks (dot) com/product/tailhook-mod-2-black/

"Disturbingly decent"

Be still my LF heart.

IT'S A COLT.  THEY'RE LIKE THE HK OF GUNS.

HRH (Ret.) The Most Reverend Consig

Stupidity is not a skillset.

Joined: 28 Nov 2004: 0037hrs        Location: The worst run state in the U.S

Well, I broke down and ordered it.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...olcraft-nib-bcg.html

The deal ends at High Noon EDT today.  So you've got another hour and a half.

Mark

My first AR had a PSA complete upper. Got it for under $400 on sale, sold it to a friend back home when I enlisted and he's got thousands of rounds through it without an issue.

My only AR is an "other firearm"/pistol lower. With the advent of adjustable length of pull pistol braces I see no reason for anyone to use anything else, providing they're building it themself (a rifle can't be changed into a pistol/other). It's the only way to get around certain legal restrictions.

The upside of 10.5" barrels is that with a LAW Tactical folder and an A5 buffer tube your firearm is over 26 inches and therefore an "other firearm" and as of right now that makes it automatically legal in 48 states (not Massachusetts and CA unless they meet certain other requirements).

Sign up for PSA's specials.  They have daily, holiday, maybe even weekly specials, I forget.  The savings can be substantial if you can wait for what you want to show up on a special.

Mark

Viper39C posted:

The question is... one of the 10.5 or the 8.5...

The price of the 10.5 is cheaper including MBUS than the 8.5 without

Pay attention to BCG included (and by what manufacturer) and CHF (cold hammer forged) barrel... these impact price.. a lot.

------------------------------------- "A True Warrior knows neither Left or Right"  Looking for a doc who can fix my allergies.. Stupid People and IED's...

David Reeves posted:
Viper39C posted:

The question is... one of the 10.5 or the 8.5...

The price of the 10.5 is cheaper including MBUS than the 8.5 without

Pay attention to BCG included (and by what manufacturer) and CHF (cold hammer forged) barrel... these impact price.. a lot.

Ok, that settled it! Didn't realize it was the CHF version!  8.5" it is with the CHF and Toolcraft BCG.

Thanks!

- Improvise, Adapt, Overcome -

Dorsai posted:

Well, I broke down and ordered it.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...olcraft-nib-bcg.html

The deal ends at High Noon EDT today.  So you've got another hour and a half.

Just checked on this offer.

Extended to Exp. 5/20, 12pm EST.

Some more time to think about it if you need such...

I have all the parts for a complete .300 upper but at this price it is sure hard not to order another..........

Makin it hard to save some coin around here.

k

I just want to remind everyone...be diligent about doing the tech inspection correctly and taking any corrective measures needed before going loud. 

GO / NOGO gauges, firing pin protrusion and gas key staking (if needed) as well as looking at the gas tube and doing a serious inspection of chamber/bore/everything for burrs /cracks /etc as well as a good proper cleaning should be the minimum before firing on any new rifle / upper...

It would be nice if we could get one of our platform experts <cough SULLY > to give a good rundown on inspection points that EVERYONE should hit whenever they get a new upper or complete gun before firing it for the first time. I'm pretty sure that there are some things that I check that others don't and also some that others check that I don't.

That's a great deal if you're happy with all the features. Once you start swapping things out the cost will surpass what you could have built from scratch (if you have the tools to build an upper)

I built mine around a KAK 8.5" barrel. With a Griffin Recce 7 on the front it's close to a 14.5" upper in length. Cost was just under $500 (just the upper, no sights, optics, lights, or accessories)

Ammo has gotten cheaper. The first batch I bought was around .80/rnd, the last batch I bought was close to .50/rnd. Still more than 5.56 but it's worth it. I usually take both when I go out

Last thing I think I want to do with it is get a silent capture spring of some sort. The 'sprong' is the loudest part right now

David Reeves posted:

It would be nice if we could get one of our platform experts <cough SULLY > to give a good rundown on inspection points that EVERYONE should hit whenever they get a new upper or complete gun before firing it for the first time...

And sticky it. Yes. Would be good to see that all in one place. 

The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life. – Theodore Roosevelt

Since we are starting down the rabbit hole of quality vs hobby grade rifles, Mike from Sons of Liberty Gunworks has  given some good things to look for in new guns via podcasts both on P&S and with Jedi on the modern samurai podcast for those who haven’t heard them, I have enjoyed listening to the MSP podcast as it’s shorter and a little more to the point than the P&S stuff which can go 2-3 hrs ( though I still enjoy them) this doesn’t necessarily touch on the uppers very much, but there’s a lot of solid info from current and former members here and the podcasts are nice for the car drives if nothing else. Now, Back to your regularly scheduled program of kind of addressing Cons topic....

-------------------------------------

Originally Posted by DocGKR:

This is why LE in some areas would be better served with belt fed weapons and flame throwers...

SG Ammo always has good deals.   

They currently have stock of a couple different Magtech loads at about .50 per round; and a sale on Winchester at .60 per round.

https://www.sgammo (dot) com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/300-aac-blackout-ammo

I just got some of the Magtech 115 grain OTM, but have yet to get to the range and check it out.   Magtech has always worked for me, though.     

Just got an email on the following on sale today:

https://www.sgammo (dot) com/product/300-aac-blackout-ammo/200-round-case-300-blackout-125-grain-open-tip-range-ammo-winchester-u

"To be born free is an accident; to live free is a privilege; to die free is a responsibility." - Richard Secord

Joined 08/25/2008.   Location: Northest WI

Viper39C posted:

So what is your favorite rounds for the 8.5" unsuppressed? Need to buy some ammo now. And I got email the upper shipped today!

The remington 120 gr is decent paper punching, DocGKR has made some strong reccomendations for people punching ammo.

Just remember that with an NON Suppressed  300 you are going to want lighter weight / higher velocity (100/110/120gr) rounds not heavier subsonic (180/200/220 gr) rounds.

Mark

David Reeves posted:
Viper39C posted:

So what is your favorite rounds for the 8.5" unsuppressed? Need to buy some ammo now. And I got email the upper shipped today!

The remington 120 gr is decent paper punching, DocGKR has made some strong reccomendations for people punching ammo.

Just remember that with an NON Suppressed  300 you are going to want lighter weight / higher velocity (100/110/120gr) rounds not heavier subsonic (180/200/220 gr) rounds.

Do you have a link to those recommendations? Can't find them right now.

- Improvise, Adapt, Overcome -

Add Reply

Likes (2)
KahanaGLOCK10MM
Copyright Lightfighter Tactical Forum 2002-2019