Sample of one, but when I had H&S Precision build me a .300WM rifle for F-Class about 20 or so years ago, I was told by them to expect around 1200 rounds through it before I would notice enough degradation in accuracy that I should consider re-barrelling it.

I got to about 600 rounds before I sold it. I would shoot about 25 to 50 rounds through it per range session at up to 1100 yards (1000m), and usually had a nice bruise on my shoulder afterwards. I broke in the barrel as per the manufacturer's instructions (contentious debate in itself), as it was supposed to improve accuracy and increase the life of the barrel. I also used to molycoat the handloads that I used exclusively through it.

I didn't notice any difference in accuracy during the time that I had the rifle. The HH6 had a custom rifle in 6.5x284 on an Australian made Millennium action that weighed twice as much, and was more accurate (and more pleasant to shoot) during that same time period.

Regards.

Mark

Formerly known as ML

1200 with the 300 Win Mag when you're looking at slaying X-rings on bullseye targets.  Maybe 2500 if you're looking to hit E-type silhouettes.

We used to call the 6.5 x 284 the Fag Mag because it would do everything the 300 would except beat the snot outta you, but had the same barrel life parameters.

Can't speak about the Norma Mag.

Velocity is the throat and barrel killer.  High velocity = heat.

I have 300WM’s with >1500 rounds that I run about 2800 FPS with 210-220 grainers. Still fast for a WM, still good accuracy, not near replacing barrels. Same for my 338 LM’s.

My 300 NM I run at just over 3000 FPS with 225 and 230 grainers. I already have another being built with anticipation of seeing accuracy degrade as I hit the 1000 round mark. I base that on past experience with all the fast .22’s and 6mm’s I liked when I was younger. I’ll let you know.

TANSTAAFL. 

If shooting to > 1000 yards is your thing the 300 Norma has been my answer. Really fun. 9mph wind brackets. Awesome. But there’s a price.

I have .308s and 6.5s with several thousand rounds that I load to rather middling velocities that show no indication of wearing out soon.

Have you looked at the 6.5 Creedmoor as an option?

I am just about to pick up a Tikka T3x TAC A1 in .308 based off the discussion in the precision rifle sub forum. I am left handed, so that limits my options sometimes. I was going to get an Accuracy International AT, but even at dealer prices, I can get three Tikka's for the price of one AI with the same features.

Regards.

Mark

Formerly known as ML

MWL posted:

Have you looked at the 6.5 Creedmore as an option?

I am just about to pick up a Tikka T3x TAC A1 in .308 based off the discussion in the precision rifle sub forum. I am left handed, so that limits my options sometimes. I was going to get an Accuracy International AT, but even at dealer prices, I can get three Tikka's for the price of one AI with the same features.

Regards.

Mark

Curious why 308 over 6.5? I want one in 6.5 just for kicks.

My LE Department clients all use .308 precision rifles, and one just purchased the same rifle for department use.

I am also in the process of setting up some  guns with suppressors, so the platform will serve as a good host for part of that  project. The others will go on Colt 6920 and 6933s.

Later, I may get one in 6.5.

Regards.

Mark

Formerly known as ML

MWL posted:

Have you looked at the 6.5 Creedmore as an option?

Regards.

Mark

I have a Rem 700 in .260 Rem I put together in the US: did outstanding with Blackhills ammo but I was never able to get reloads to work as well through it.

Tell me more about the Tikka T3x TAC?

If I didn't have my PGW and wanted into the 6.5CM club, I would go Tikka with zero hesitation.  Outstanding rifles.

-------------------------

IT'S A COLT.  THEY'RE LIKE THE HK OF GUNS.

HRH (Ret.) The Most Reverend Consig

Stupidity is not a skillset.

Joined: 28 Nov 2004: 0037hrs        Location: The worst run state in the U.S

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it has moved a bit in this direction anyway.

Given the choice, what would be the better option, an Accuracy International AT in .308, or a Tikka T3x TAC A1 in .308 at about 1/3 of the price? I know I can purchase extra, easily exchanged, barrels for the AI, say for 6.5 Creedmoor, rather than a second complete rifle and scope for the Tikka option, and at about that point, the price difference becomes a wash, but is the AI 3 times the rifle the Tikka is, mostly in terms of accuracy and durability?

Also, what barrel length would be optimal in .308, especially when considering the use of a suppressor? I am thinking that the answer to this question is 20", but I would like some confirmation, or alternative, with reasons why.

Regards.

Mark

Formerly known as ML

I'd get the Tikka in a KRG Bravo stock and use the delta between it and the AI to buy ammo and a scope.

Related image

A 20-inch 308 barrel can push a Berger 185 Juggernaut fast enough to stay supersonic at 1,000 yards, and a little free-bore boost would make it a decent choice for a suppressor.

If you're not routinely shooting 1,000 a 16- or 18-incher will shorten the weapon enough to keep it from being ungainly with the suppressor.

Mark, the AI’s are fantastic. Period. Love them.

The TacA1 is a great gun. Fantastic. If it was $1000 more expensive it would be a great gun.

If you buy the TacA1 - which is NOT the same as the T3X - you need do nothing to it to upgrade it. Add a bipod, a cant indicator, and your optic and you’re done for life.

More thread drift (because barrel length was brought up), thoughts on 16"  vs longer in .308 with the Tac A1, Doc? The longer barrel having 5/8-24 threads means that one could potentially use existing 30 caliber cans until a dedicated one (with M18x1 threads) could be sourced and made it out of ATF jail.

So, currently the only two left hand models of the TAC A1 being imported into Canada are the .223 and the .308 with 24" barrel.

I have a .308 being held for me, but I'm not 100% sold on the 24" barrel. I had a 26" .308 customized Remington a while back, in addition to my .300WM with 26" barrel, and they were both a little long.

I have also discovered that the Canadian importer is only supplying one magazine with each rifle, but you can purchase an extra one for C$150 or so, and they have plenty (I wonder where they came from?).

Regards.

Mark

Formerly known as ML

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Copyright Lightfighter Tactical Forum 2002-2019