.40 cal for duty use?

"Nonetheless, if I was in a department that issued .40 or was doing a lot of LE work around vehicles, I'd be strongly tempted to carry a M&P40. Lots of 180 gr JHP's that do well against intermediate barriers is a good thing." -- Doc GKR on 08-29-14

I currently work part time as a patrol officer for two different agencies. At one place (the department I retired from) I am issued a Gen IV Glock 22 with a Streamlight TLR-1 WML. (Winchester Ranger issued for duty ammo)  At the other agency (where I've worked part-time since I was in the police academy[which was 1981])  I carry a personally owned Gen IV G35. (Hornady Critical Defense currently issued for duty ammo)

I am about to begin learning how to run an RDS on a handgun (Trijicon RMR06 type 2) and might? eventually use an RDS equipped handgun on duty. I'm a big boy and shoot full size .40 cal handguns just fine. If I do transition to an RDS equipped gun (at least part of the time) I'm wondering if I should stick with .40 S&W or go back to 9mmP. (I am partial to the G34/G35 pistols)

I live in Wisconsin, and penetration of heavy winter clothing would be an important consideration about four months out of the year.

arm yourself, because no one else here will save you . . .

he found faith in danger, a lifestyle he lived by

Assemble the Kingsmen

Original Post

I think you might have RDS life span issues with the G22. The G forces from the slide velocity are not kind to the optic. 

Switch to 9mm and carry 147 HST/Gold Dot etc.  they will penetrate just fine. 

“They were two douchebags who met in the normal course of being two douchebags.” - Sully, Third Watch

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Copyright Lightfighter Tactical Forum 2002-2019