I was in the LGS and they had a Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70. Something about it was calling me I'm not looking to use it long range and thinking a red dot. Anyone with durability experience with a red dot on a 45-70? I currently run Aimpoint PRO and M4Comp and Trijicon MRO's on my 5.56 carbines. Would these hold up?

Thanks, Bill

Garg 'nuair dhùisgear

Original Post

Anything that'll survive 12ga should hold up. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So low speed, i'm in Park.

"I could stand to hear a little more.." Jayne

Training is brief. Death is forever. PAY ATTENTION.

I have a persistent need for a level action 45-70.  I don't hunt animals with 4 feet and have no defined need for one, but hey "Mercia, on 4th of July weekend. 

If I had one, I'd probably put a red dot one it, probably a pre T-1 Aimpoint, taken off another carbine. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

“Speak softly and carry a big stick;  you will go far. “

Theodore Roosevelt

I have a friend that has run a t-1 on a marlin for 3-4 years now.  Sample of one but no issues.  

There has been a bit of a trend to tacticalize lever guns - rails, lights, mounts -  for various reasons.    I think some of the concept has been imported from overseas where semis are a no go.  

In response Marlin announced these a while back:

https://www.marlinfirearms.com...cing-new-dark-series

_______________________ Front Toward Enemy

I have two Marlin Guide Guns, neither have red dot sights but one wears a Leupold 2.5x Scout Scope.  

Normal factory .45-70 Trapdoor friendly ammo kicks about like a 20 gauge.  Levergun level ammo kicks like 2 3/4” 12 gauge.   My favorite load is a 360gr cast flat point at 1,850fps.  Recoil is like an exuberant 3” 12 gauge turkey load.  Any Aimpoint and most other decent brands rds should live a long productive life on a .45-70 Marlin. 

And yes the SBL is a sexy beast. 

I have the dark version, the rail, and the ghost ring and post is fast and accurate for most things under 100. The scout scope is the next thing I will put on it if I need any distance. I just dropped off a straight stocked Guide Gun to my local Gunsmith for a barrel bob, comp, tune, lever, rail & sight for the wife. It will end up looking like the Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70s little brother at 16” barrel and an inch off the stock with MP3+ inside and out. Only 6 rounds instead of 8 but as I said in another thread, it’s a 49 state problem solver. Takes care of the problem and the truck they are driving.

Location Texas.

"So what are you gonna do if we get hit on this trip?" "Me?, I'm going to shoot some good pics of you nuking their ass. You do your job, I'll do mine. If I have to do yours,(unless you're the medic) we're probably all screwed!" - Standard reply , from Desert Storm through Iraqi Freedom

Every time I read threads like is I know it will cost me money!  As long as I'm buying my way to the poor house, wonder of an ACRO would work on the dark 45-70?

“Speak softly and carry a big stick;  you will go far. “

Theodore Roosevelt

For a fun plinking load, try "The Load" i.e.   13grains of Red Dot behind any 45-70 bullet.  I've mostly shot 300grain blts.

Pretty much 45-70 blackpowder ballistics, quiet and practically no recoil and accurate enough to hit whatever I can see with peepsights.

There is no left or right.

There is only tyranny or freedom. 

Garrett  of Texas has a few serious loads for hunting, here are two

350-gr Woodleigh Weld-Core Jacketed Expanding bullet at 2000-fps*

Energy: 3100 ft/lbs:   Taylor Knockout Value: 46;
Chamber Pressure: 35,000-cup;    
Trajectory: +2.1” @ 50-yds; +3.3” @ 100-yds, ZERO @ 170-YDS, -8.3” @ 230-YDS

500-gr Hornady Copper-Clad Steel Jacketed Flatnose Solid at 1550-fps*

Energy: 2670 ft/lbs:   Taylor Knockout Value: 50;
Trajectory: +2.2” @ 50-yds; +2” @ 100-yds, ZERO @ 135-YDS, -7” @ 180-YDS

Location Texas.

"So what are you gonna do if we get hit on this trip?" "Me?, I'm going to shoot some good pics of you nuking their ass. You do your job, I'll do mine. If I have to do yours,(unless you're the medic) we're probably all screwed!" - Standard reply , from Desert Storm through Iraqi Freedom

Apostate! Burn him!

Apparently Rick R2 is the only person who read the "1895 45-70 Book of Life" and put an optic on it that won't get you sent to hell.😀 

Somewhere I  have my last box of Buffalo Bore 45-70 Magnum, 350 grain that I believe runs ~ 2,100 FPS. Expensive, but shoots pretty flat. 

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem"

Joined: 9/5/2011 Location: The Former Empire State, now The State of Anarchy

I have been lusting after this rifle for a few years now - maybe clean up the light mount system, but you get the idea.

I want two matching guns in .357 and .45-70:

"Experienced cops don't have 'hunches'. They have superior observational and analytical skills which allow them to make the connection between otherwise innocuous facts, and take appropriate action to assess that perception."

~ Doug Mitchell

Life is Good!

I only own one lever action, a Winchester 1892 clone in .44mag/.44 spl.  I don't know if this is common to other lever action models, but loading is somewhat awkward in that either the gate catches your thumbnail, or you have to be careful to push the round in far enough that the gate holds it by friction, allowing you to push it the rest of the way in with the next round.  But, don't load it far enough and the gate won't hold it, allowing it to slip back out. 

So this is the modified design that I think would make for a better tubular magazine lever action.  Incorporate shell stops in the magazine tube like a shotgun that also hold the gate in the open position, allowing you to quickly shove rounds in the magazine without catching your thumbnail.  Then, just slightly actuating the lever releases the loading gate so it performs the secondary function of keeping dirt and dust out of the action and magazine.  Just my thoughts.

-------------------------

Mark

Swear allegiance to the flag Whatever flag they offer

Never hint at what you really feel

Teach the children quietly For some day sons and daughters

Will rise up and fight while we stood still

Joined:  2/24/2003                          Location:  Nevada, USA

Dorsai posted:

I only own one lever action, a Winchester 1892 clone in .44mag/.44 spl.  I don't know if this is common to other lever action models, but loading is somewhat awkward in that either the gate catches your thumbnail, or you have to be careful to push the round in far enough that the gate holds it by friction, allowing you to push it the rest of the way in with the next round.  But, don't load it far enough and the gate won't hold it, allowing it to slip back out. 

The Marlin design and later Winchester 94 rifles manage this a bit better than the 92 action. You can still pinch your thumb if you aren’t careful but like “Garand Thumb” you pretty quickly learn the drill. 

High Exposure,

Wild West Guns makes a light mount that clamps to the magazine tube, that would look / work a bit better than that offset mount. 

I have a few things left to do on my,  need to change the light/ mount. just using what i have lying around at the moment. Using a Bushnell TRS-25 which has held up fine but I will upgrade to an AImpoint soon enough . 

Its a Marlin 1895G, Midwest forend, Magpul AFG. The hoptic saddle blanket on the stock is a nice addition.  Saddle ring added for an additional sling mount option.  Fun and capable rifle. 

com cam guy posted:

Garrett  of Texas has a few serious loads for hunting, here are two

350-gr Woodleigh Weld-Core Jacketed Expanding bullet at 2000-fps*

Energy: 3100 ft/lbs:   Taylor Knockout Value: 46;
Trajectory: +2.1” @ 50-yds; +3.3” @ 100-yds, ZERO @ 170-YDS, -8.3” @ 230-YDS

500-gr Hornady Copper-Clad Steel Jacketed Flatnose Solid at 1550-fps*

Energy: 2670 ft/lbs:   Taylor Knockout Value: 50;
Trajectory: +2.2” @ 50-yds; +2” @ 100-yds, ZERO @ 135-YDS, -7” @ 180-YDS

I don't think I'd try those loads in  a lever gun. These seem more like Ruger loads.

Garg 'nuair dhùisgear

They are rated for marlins. Check their site, plenty for the 45-70, 44 mag, and more. 

Location Texas.

Those are no problem loads for a Marlin.

My .45-70 will be sporting a T-2.

-------------------------

IT'S A COLT.  THEY'RE LIKE THE HK OF GUNS.

HRH (Ret.) The Most Reverend Consig

Stupidity is not a skillset.

I AM GROOT.

Joined: 28 Nov 2004: 0037hrs        Location: The worst run state in the U.S

Add Reply

Likes (2)
Copyright Lightfighter Tactical Forum 2002-2019