511 Stryke Pants

Any "end users" care to comment on the 511 Stryke pants? with respect to fit? comfort etc,  these are a "work"  option since we have been using there "base" pants for awhile. I'm wondering how the fabric 'stretches" and how much room there is in the thighs for there "relaxed" fit? Thanks

Certified Glock, S&W, SIG  Armourer

Colt, REM Armourer

Original Post

I really like them.  We just got them last summer, and they felt like a game changer for us, compared to our old uniform, cotton/poly uniform pants.

There's not a lot of stretch, but just having a little makes a huge difference.  I used to have to hitch my pant leg anytime I had to bend down or step over something high, but not anymore.

Room in the thighs?  I'm a "medium" guy, but I've got a weightlifter co-worker, and he loves his new pants.

I’ve been wearing them on and off for several years and we just got authorization for them to be daily uniform wear.  They are the best 5.11 pants going. They dry reasonable quick.

Theres a little mechanical stretch built in.  Size size, if you’re between, go smaller. I’m sorting that out with returns right now.  

And 5.11 has a sale going on right now.  

The complaints you will read are craftsmanship related.  Seams blow out etc.  these are unavoidable for any mass manufactured clothing from over seas at this price point.  It’s not a Dead Bird. But it’s not Propper either. 

“They were two douchebags who met in the normal course of being two douchebags.” - Sully, Third Watch

They are not authorized at my PD for patrol, but, a ton of us ignore that and wear them anyway.  They are very popular, and perform well.  The stretch is nice.  The features are good, including the gusseted crotch, and washability.  They fade, and there is a discernable color diff between our shirts and the pants.  The Velcro wears quickly.

- Gene

____ "Fight like you're the third monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark...".

____ "If you can't do something smart, do something right." - Jayne Cobb

____ " Pull your huggies up, shut the fuck up." - gruntpain

I had some unfortunate experience with Stryke pants shrinking just enough in length to become unwearable for me, but this was several years ago, right after they first came out... probably 2012 or 2013.  These days, if I'm wearing 5.11 pants, I really like the Apex.  You don't have the front thigh pockets, and you have to be ok with zippered cargo pockets rather than flapped hook/loop closures, but man, these things are super comfy.  The stretchy waist panels are a noticeable improvement over the tunnel expansion system used on the Stryke, which always left hot spots on my hips when wearing a duty belt over them.  Stryke pants are better than original 5.11s, but Apex pants are a leap forward.

I’ve been wearing them as my K9 patrol uniform pants for the past 2 1/2 years. They are not authorized but they are way better than the 5.11 pants we are authorized.  

For me, the fit is awesome, they feel pretty light and for me they feel airy unlike the bdu type pants we are supposed to wear. 

My only complaint is I can’t stuff the leg pockets with too much as they aren’t as roomy as the 5.11 bdu pants I was used to when I first got to the unit.   

I have gone with 32x32 and the length is perfect as I like them a little longer.  

I elect to air dry so I cannot comment on shrinkage from drying.  

I am lucky we have a 5.11 retail store in the area so going in and trying on every pant they have is awesome.  Also, we usually come out for their annual store celebration so the manager takes really good care of us...think 50-60% off anything we want to purchase.

This year, I am most likely making the switch to Crye Field pants for work and training as the rep out this way is pretty awesome and has answered a lot of our questions etc.

J_B posted:

I’ve been wearing them as my K9 patrol uniform pants for the past 2 1/2 years. They are not authorized but they are way better than the 5.11 pants we are authorized.  

For me, the fit is awesome, they feel pretty light and for me they feel airy unlike the bdu type pants we are supposed to wear. 

My only complaint is I can’t stuff the leg pockets with too much as they aren’t as roomy as the 5.11 bdu pants I was used to when I first got to the unit.   

I have gone with 32x32 and the length is perfect as I like them a little longer.  

I elect to air dry so I cannot comment on shrinkage from drying.  

I am lucky we have a 5.11 retail store in the area so going in and trying on every pant they have is awesome.  Also, we usually come out for their annual store celebration so the manager takes really good care of us...think 50-60% off anything we want to purchase.

This year, I am most likely making the switch to Crye Field pants for work and training as the rep out this way is pretty awesome and has answered a lot of our questions etc.

If I could wear my Crye Fields everyday I would. They are a couple steps above the Stryke.  

“They were two douchebags who met in the normal course of being two douchebags.” - Sully, Third Watch

The only thing I don't like is the tunnel waistband - adds weight and bulk around the waist that also equates to heat build up. I much prefer their Apex pants with the stretchy material at the pocket area.

5.11 is introducing some new pants and updating some old ones this year, including a newer version of the Taclite Pro, the ABR Pro, although the newer styling (tighter fitting leg) may not suit everyone. The Tactical Quantum TDU pants (out later this year) may be a better 'tactical' option.

--------------------------------------

If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together    -    African proverb

Joined: 2003          Location: At home pretending to be retired (again).

As StandEasy said the waist band tends to add extra bulk at least in my limited experience in wearing them for range and training.  I'm going to a new assignment where the team wears 5.11 or Propper, no uniform unless specific preplanned events, warrants etc, and so I'm going to look at them again and Apex probably as well.  My biggest gripe with 5.11 overall is inconsistency in sizing.  I wear 34x32 and seems to always require trying multiple pairs in 34x32 in 5.11 to get proper fit, hopefully that's changed, will find out at the 5.11 store this weekend

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Copyright Lightfighter Tactical Forum 2002-2019