I've been pretty interested in a working 7.62x39 AR for a while. It's hard to argue the ergonomic advantages of the AR platform, yet the 7.62x39 ammo is still so much cheaper. From my research the two biggest weakspots in this project were going to be bolts and magazines. From my tests on this rifle, with 2000 rounds through it, neither have been an issue. Granted, 2000 rounds is nothing crazy, nor have they been fired in a high-intensity environment. However, the initial take-aways have been positive.

Bottom is everything set up in 5.56:

BCM 14.5" ELW Fluted

Surefire muzzlebrake

ATPIAL-C

Aimpoint T2 on Larue T660

MI front and rear BUIS

BCM KMR 

Ares Armor Huskey MII EWS sling

Armageddon Tactical GMS-15 ambi charging handle

BCM KAG

Surefire P3X Fury in HSP Thorntail

Lower is standard BCM lower:

BCM Gunfighter Grip

BCM Gunfighter Stock

Norgon Ambi-Catch

Battle Arms Development BAD-ASS Short-throw ambi-safety

7.62x39 Upper:

Aero Precision Upper Receiver

Black Rifle Arms 16" 7.62x39 Midlength 4150 Nitrided Barrel

BCM KMR

Surefire muzzlebrake

ATPIAL-C

Aimpoint T2 in Larue LT660

MI front and rear BUIS

Armageddon Tactical GMS-15 ambi charging handle

Surefire P3X Fury in HSP Thorntail

BCM KAG

This upper was put together by Liberty Gun Works, using their enhanced 7.62x39 bolt. The bolt shows no wear after 2k rounds. The rifle shoots very smoothly, and has exhibited zero malfunctions over those same 2000 rounds. 

For magazines, I have run a rotation of 13 C Products Defense 28-round 7.62x39 magazines, with no issues noted on any of them. I bought a few of the ASC mags, and did the upgrades (extra power springs, dremel the front lip of the mag), and had nothing but trouble out of those.

Using the CPD mags, I have found this to be a very viable system, with the advantage of being able to run still-fairly cheap ammo. All ammo has been commie steel case.I plan to run this at a Frank Proctor course in November to wring it out a bit more, and will update then.

"Fuck your mom in her dirty whore mouth, you felching, obdurate, acerbic, petulant little enfranchised fucking twit. How's that for vocabulary, motherfucker?" ~ 5.56 Grave

Joined: 10-14-2003                                        Location: Indiana, USA

Original Post

Have you compared the accuracy of the 7.62x39 to the 5.56? It would be interesting since the set-ups are so close. 

"It's paranoia until something happens, then it is preparedness"

"It is not whether you're paranoid, it whether you're paranoid enough"

"When did you get so paranoid?" …When they started plotting against me.

I've had it to the 100, and without taking calipers to the targets. Using the Mk1 Eyeball, at that range and in, accuracy appears to be identical between both uppers.

"Fuck your mom in her dirty whore mouth, you felching, obdurate, acerbic, petulant little enfranchised fucking twit. How's that for vocabulary, motherfucker?" ~ 5.56 Grave

Joined: 10-14-2003                                        Location: Indiana, USA

Yeah, that was one of the things that had me questioning the viability of the 7.62x39 AR. However, I did a lot of research, and found nothing but positive reviews on the Liberty Gun Works enhanced bolt. Same went for the Cason, but the LGW was cheaper.

Also from my reading, most people are seeing bolt failures in the 1200-2000 round range. I have reached the upper edge of that, with no noticeable wear or stress on the bolt. Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues...

Add Reply

Likes (4)
lpd540822FMOJONIXONfpdsniper
Copyright Lightfighter Tactical Forum 2002-2019