7.62x39 AR Uppers

I’ve been considering adding a 7.62x39 AR upper to my stable. Are there viable alternatives to Palmetto State Armory and Rock River that I’m just not finding due to weak search foo? Any drawbacks to this set up in a DI gun other than (from what I’ve heard) generally dirty ammo?

Mojo/Mark
You want the good life, you break your back, you snap your fingers, you snap your neck... Prong/Demon Hunter

Original Post
1168 posted:

CMMG mutant, perhaps. I have no personal experience, though. Why 7.62? Not knocking it, just curious. 

Lots of ammo. I want a .30 Cal AR without the expense of a .308 or .300 B/O platform.  It’s an easy swap. Just a mag change if you have a complete upper. Mostly just want, no specific need other than that. 

Mojo/Mark
You want the good life, you break your back, you snap your fingers, you snap your neck... Prong/Demon Hunter

Magazines are an issue.  .300 Blackout is still more expensive than 7.62x39, but unless you're set on that caliber, why not BO?  It's easier to buy an upper and you don't have to deal with a radical (in comparison) curve in the magazine.  If you are using a standard magwell, then you have that mag (difficult and expensive to find), that is straight at the top and then really curved in the lower part.  If you are using AK mags, then the custom lower.

-------------------------

Mark

Swear allegiance to the flag Whatever flag they offer

Never hint at what you really feel

Teach the children quietly For some day sons and daughters

Will rise up and fight while we stood still

Joined:  2/24/2003                          Location:  Nevada, USA

I think the 7.62x39 in a bolt gun is pretty fascinating and cheap to shoot.   I like my CZ.

If you are just interested in the caliber, might want to give one of these a look.  Plus in may they have 10% off.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/38252

I'm tempted.  With a scout scope setup it would be neat.  The mags are proprietary and not cheap and the mag release is in the wrong place.

Dorsai posted:

Magazines are an issue.  .300 Blackout is still more expensive than 7.62x39, but unless you're set on that caliber, why not BO?  It's easier to buy an upper and you don't have to deal with a radical (in comparison) curve in the magazine.  If you are using a standard magwell, then you have that mag (difficult and expensive to find), that is straight at the top and then really curved in the lower part.  If you are using AK mags, then the custom lower.

C-Products makes mags that are relatively easy to find and not outrageous in price $20 for 30 round. 

Why not 300 B/O? 

Don’t want to invest in another caliber. 

Mojo/Mark

stray round posted:

I think the 7.62x39 in a bolt gun is pretty fascinating and cheap to shoot.   I like my CZ.

If you are just interested in the caliber, might want to give one of these a look.  Plus in may they have 10% off.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/38252

I'm tempted.  With a scout scope setup it would be neat.  The mags are proprietary and not cheap and the mag release is in the wrong place.

I thought the Howa bolt 7.62x39 was discontinued. 

Mojo/Mark

PWS makes 7.62×39mm uppers, and generally have a good reputation for quality. No other personal experience for that caliber, although I have a 5.56×45mm upper of theirs that had served me well enough, outside of some minor gassing issues. Should you qualify, they also have a pro deal, though right now you have to call in to see what it is like, as they're still revamping the website.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

Default.mp3 posted:

PWS makes 7.62×39mm uppers, and generally have a good reputation for quality. No other personal experience for that caliber, although I have a 5.56×45mm upper of theirs that had served me well enough, outside of some minor gassing issues. Should you qualify, they also have a pro deal, though right now you have to call in to see what it is like, as they're still revamping the website.

Thanks, brother. 

Mojo/Mark

Anyone heard of Hardened Arms?

I never had until I started searching 7.62x39 AR uppers yesterday  

Prices are what I’d say seem to good to be true, probably a clue. 

Mojo/Mark

Mojo, I've had a 7.62x39 upper for a couple years, with right at 6,000 rounds through it. Mine was built for me by Liberty Gun Works, and has run like a champ, once I figured magazines out. I had him use a midlength gas system on mine, and with a Surefire comp, it is very smooth. His "enhanced" bolt is solid.

For mags, ASC have been universally shit. Even with the "fix" (upgraded springs, and dremeling the front of the magazine). C-Products 30-rounders are hit or miss. C-Products 28-rounders have been 100% problem-free. If you're going to shoot commie ammo, get an extra-power hammer spring

"Fuck your mom in her dirty whore mouth, you felching, obdurate, acerbic, petulant little enfranchised fucking twit. How's that for vocabulary, motherfucker?" ~ 5.56 Grave

Joined: 10-14-2003                                        Location: Indiana, USA

IPDB322, thanks, good info. 

Mojo/Mark

Add Reply

Likes (0)
Copyright Lightfighter Tactical Forum 2002-2016