So it's that time, looking to "invest" in a set, I'm thinking that I want something that is light, lots of room in the thigh area, not too concerned about the # of pockets. They should fit well and above all last,or at least have a "reasonable" life span. I haven't been able to find any reviews on the Patagonia or Arc'teryx,there are some videos though. One last thing? any thoughts on just getting a pair of MC Vertx pants? or are these worth the coin. Thanks

For the shirt, thinking the Patagonia Level 9 NTS?

Certified Glock, S&W, SIG  Armourer

Colt, REM Armourer

Original Post

I have Crye Field and Combat Trousers as well as Arc'teryx Talos.

 

I prefer the Crye's by a modest margin. They subjectively feel better to me in fit, cut and cloth.

 

All are good (albeit expensive) choices, and I would be happy if I was only allowed to wear one brand/model of the above choices. The Talos in crocodile are bland enough colored that you won't get the same kind of second looks downtown that you will with the Crye Combat trousers in any color. The Crye Fields in tan do not get a second glance at all.

 

I recommend a wear/loan test to narrow down if you have a friend that will let you try a set for a few days.

 

I believe Military Morons has a review of the Deadbird Talo's.

 

One of my fellow deputies has a pair of the Vertx Trousers and loves them. We both scaled up from Truspec (They don't suck) and 5.11 (They do suck).

I'm kinda leaning towards the Arcteryx? only because I have the most experience with that brand, however most of the folks like yourself say Crye. I'm just worried that the Arcteryx will have a "slim" fit in the thighs? which would suck. Also how do you feel about a "button fly" most of the stuff I've read said this can be a "deal breaker"?

 

I have some Tru Spec pants , IYO are the better than Vertx?  

Certified Glock, S&W, SIG  Armourer

Colt, REM Armourer

I have both the Crye combat and Arc Talos, and like both. I prefer the external kneepads on the Crye to the having to run the dead bird kneecaps through the talos, however both work just fine for protection and are equally comfortable.

 

For a range or overt stuff, the Crye are my go to, whereas the talos is my preffered for "lower" vis or outdoorsy stuff.

 

Talos do not fit slim in the thigh, they fit roomy. its a comfortable cut.

 

I have the vertx phantom LT and tru spec 24/7 pants, and like each about equally. I prefer the design of the cargo pockets on the Vertx, however they have a slim waist (a 34" waist feels more like a 33", however still wearable and comfortable) Both get lots of wear, both trippin around the city and out hiking, camping, low vis/no vis at work, etc.

 

Button fly isnt a deal breaker for me, I just prefer zipper. Faster, easier, etc.

 

Combat shirts i have an arc talos LT (prefer the older model with the higher collar) and a Crye Combat, as well as a couple of the older CP gear cadpat AR OTW shirts. The Talos LT is a nice shirt for romping around the woods no armor or weapon, but im not a fan of the low pro collar, I find stuff (slings, armor carriers, etc) tend to rub and I notice it more than the standard combat shirt collar. This seems to have been corrected by the new "Assault ar" shirt from arcteryx. the Crye combat shirt is G2G.


Vertx, Tru spec, etc all have combat shirts, however I have no experience with them.

 

in an ideal world with an ideal budget, a pair of each would be where its at.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-We are the sheepdogs, bad people looking out for the good people by killing worse people
-Don't get PTSD, Give PTSD. Make the taliban wake up screaming in the night because he fears Canadians are coming to Kill him.

-Location - Canada - Joined - 2006MAR19

Originally Posted by BSO:

. I'm just worried that the Arcteryx will have a "slim" fit in the thighs? which would suck. Also how do you feel about a "button fly" most of the stuff I've read said this can be a "deal breaker"?

 

I have some Tru Spec pants , IYO are the better than Vertx?  

The Talo's are plenty roomy. I would say more so than the Crye for my leg shape.

 

Button fly is no big deal.

 

Probably same/same with maybe an edge to the Vertx. I will say I prefer the MC 50/50 fabric that Truspec uses over the other solid colors 65/35 that Truspec uses. The MC fabric seems to have a softer feel.

 

If it matters to you, the Crye is the only brand that is totally USA made. That appeals to me.

I would say Crye, which I have a lot of time in. Easier to find new/used, fit is great for active stuff, plenty of pockets, more durable than they seem like they should be.

 

For MC top - just get a used Massiff for $25. Tons of guys have them leftover from OEF. I wouldn't spend the money on the top until you are ready to get a Crye.

 

Truespec wear out quickly if you are rough on them because the stitching isn't great and there is no built in flex.

For combat pants and shirts, don't forget to look at Beyond; their A9A advanced combat pants are suppose to be pretty sweet, and Beyond does offer a pro deal.

 

I do have to say though, I've been playing with the idea of using lightweight softshell pants with the Arc'teyrx Knee Caps in lieu of the combat pants except in the hottest of weather. The softshells are stretchy, which gives good movement, have some water resistance, yet also wicks and dries relatively quickly, and should be quite durable; I've had great results with the Knee Caps, having of done multi-mile runs in them without any issues, nor during vehicle courses where there was constant elevation changes. Several companies make lighter weight softshell MC pants (Otte and Wild Things both do, while Beyond will have an MC set soon enough; right now they only have the ODG Lupus pattern for their lightweight softshell pants).

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

 

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。


Joined: 2008-07-16

I like the Patagucci pants (I have a pair) but their proprietary kneepad design kinda sucks. They also make FR contract pants with cutouts for Crye pads, which are money. I also have a set of Beyond pants, with a cutout for the Crye style kneepads. Both designs, in my opinion, are more comfortable and user friendly than the Crye AC pants, but the Patagonia kneepads aren't great. No experience to speak of with the Gen3 pants, however. If color doesn't matter, the Army Combat Pants are pretty good for the surplus prices.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Originally Posted by Default.mp3:

For combat pants and shirts, don't forget to look at Beyond; their A9A advanced combat pants are suppose to be pretty sweet, and Beyond does offer a pro deal.

 

 

Interesting, just sent them an email about the PRO program, any more info on this company or there clothing?

Certified Glock, S&W, SIG  Armourer

Colt, REM Armourer

Originally Posted by BSO:
Originally Posted by Default.mp3:

For combat pants and shirts, don't forget to look at Beyond; their A9A advanced combat pants are suppose to be pretty sweet, and Beyond does offer a pro deal.

 

 

Interesting, just sent them an email about the PRO program, any more info on this company or there clothing?

https://www.lightfighter.net/to...bat-shirt-comparison

 

45&223 has had some experience with Beyond, too, as has basicload. IIRC, they provided some issue gear to some of the units in SOCOM.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

 

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。


Joined: 2008-07-16

Thanks, looks like I'm in on the PRO deal at Beyond, so far so good for there customer contact/service. Now more stuff to consider though, thanks for the "heads up" troops and keep the info coming, "it's all good!" Cheers

Certified Glock, S&W, SIG  Armourer

Colt, REM Armourer

Originally Posted by Tropleo:

Standing by to hear how to take advantage of Beyond's Pro deal...

http://www.beyondclothing.com/pro/

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

 

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。


Joined: 2008-07-16

So Beyond set me up pretty fast on there PRO program, the discount is decent and the customer service so far had been very good. Some of the stuff I'm interested in though is not in stock, in my size, so I'll have to keep a look out. Cheers

Certified Glock, S&W, SIG  Armourer

Colt, REM Armourer

I have a set of Beyond mission pants and shirt that I got when they had their 33% off sale. They are fantastic! You can tell they're overbuilt. I've only been able to use them at the range so far (National Guard), but they are surprisingly comfortable in the 90+ degree weather we've had in WI this summer. Heavier than my BDU/ACUs, but still comfy. The thigh pockets actually fit my phone without a case (S5), which is nice for the range since the side packets are usually covered by pouches. I'm sure these will last me forever.

 

I'll be picking up a woodland set when they have another sale and they've told me other Multicam patterns may be happening in 2016.

Originally Posted by unitedterra:

I have a set of Beyond mission pants and shirt that I got when they had their 33% off sale. They are fantastic! You can tell they're overbuilt. I've only been able to use them at the range so far (National Guard), but they are surprisingly comfortable in the 90+ degree weather we've had in WI this summer. Heavier than my BDU/ACUs, but still comfy. The thigh pockets actually fit my phone without a case (S5), which is nice for the range since the side packets are usually covered by pouches. I'm sure these will last me forever.

 

I'll be picking up a woodland set when they have another sale and they've told me other Multicam patterns may be happening in 2016.

Good to hear, which ones did you get? the Utility or the Advanced? and how was the sizing? I always struggle when its the S-M-L,etc.BTW where do you the knee pad inserts or do they come with them? Thanks

Certified Glock, S&W, SIG  Armourer

Colt, REM Armourer

Originally Posted by BSO:

Good to hear, which ones did you get? the Utility or the Advanced? and how was the sizing? I always struggle when its the S-M-L,etc.BTW where do you the knee pad inserts or do they come with them? Thanks

I got the Advanced in small regular and they're somewhat snug in the waist, but I run between 30 and 33 waist depending on the weather. I usually wear small/extra shorts for ACUs that can run snug to loose depending on the pair. The regulars hang a couple inches long, but I have very short legs. The velcro closure on the waist, instead of button, is really nice and allows adjustment if you sit on the line between small and medium like I do.

 

Knee pads weren't included, but they were far more comfortable kneeling and laying than my ACUs, as I never wear knee pads (see tiny legs comment above).

 

I'd say that the smalls are good for anyone from 32 waist and under and regulars would work up to 5'10 or so, as I'm barely 5'6 and I have 3-4 inches extra on the legs.

 

The combat shirt I got was orginally a small, but returned it for a medium. The sleeves are a bit baggy for my liking, but the torso was really tight in the smalls. The medium is looser like I wanted and the sleeves are fine when I do a roll or two to take up some of the extra length.

 

It's pretty tough to find decent length in clothes for me since all my apendages are shorter than they should be for my height, but I really enjoy these. My only gripe is that the sleeves are baggier than I'd prefer on the shirt, but the pants are just phenominal.

On the same vein...has anyone tried the Beyond A5 Brokk softshell trousers?

 

They're on sale right on beyondclothing.com and my size is(was) in stock for a pretty good price. I believe it's even that magical Durastretch Tweave material.


 

Joined: 03 OCT 2006        Meatspace Coordinates: The Smoke

Originally Posted by BSO:

Does anyone have a good source for the Crye pants? that are "in stock" and offer a discount? Thanks. 

 

You buy Crye Pants from Crye. They are already discounted to the Good Guy Guild price, because they are only sold to Good Guys. They should be in stock there. Every thing I have ordered in the last couple years has been in stock and shipped quickly.

 

Note that there are three versions of Crye Pants> Combat, Field and LEO. Each has different features and the Field and LEO are much cheaper than the Combat (by $60-80) Quality is the same in each version... Excellent.

 

Keep in mind that Crye stuff is all absolutely USA made in NYNY. So some of the price difference between Crye and one of the other "tac" pants is going to the wages of your fellow Americans rather than to a sweat shop in Bangladesh or Dominican Republic.

 

If you cannot handle the Crye price, Ebay does have the used Army issue Crye type pants for around a hundred bucks a pair. The only down side with that COA is that the sizing is standard MIl sizing vs Crye offering even waist sizes and XPat and XLong lengths.

Originally Posted by Longeye:
Originally Posted by BSO:

Does anyone have a good source for the Crye pants? that are "in stock" and offer a discount? Thanks. 

 

You buy Crye Pants from Crye. They are already discounted to the Good Guy Guild price, because they are only sold to Good Guys. They should be in stock there. Every thing I have ordered in the last couple years has been in stock and shipped quickly.

 

Note that there are three versions of Crye Pants> Combat, Field and LEO. Each has different features and the Field and LEO are much cheaper than the Combat (by $60-80) Quality is the same in each version... Excellent.

 

Keep in mind that Crye stuff is all absolutely USA made in NYNY. So some of the price difference between Crye and one of the other "tac" pants is going to the wages of your fellow Americans rather than to a sweat shop in Bangladesh or Dominican Republic.

 

If you cannot handle the Crye price, Ebay does have the used Army issue Crye type pants for around a hundred bucks a pair. The only down side with that COA is that the sizing is standard MIl sizing vs Crye offering even waist sizes and XPat and XLong lengths.

Thanks, I prefer made in the USA, so no worries there. Sizing is "true to size", and cost, well it's "buy once, cry once" for me. I'm going with the Combat pant. Cheers

Certified Glock, S&W, SIG  Armourer

Colt, REM Armourer

Once you wear a pair of Crye pants for a few days you will wonder why you did not get a pair earlier.

 

I  can not speak about the others as I don't have them but the Crye Combat pants are great.

 

__________________________ Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist" Don't tell my wife I am using a EO she thinks I am a piano player in a whorehouse.

Originally Posted by BSO:

Update, just "pulled the trigger' on some Crye G3 combat pants, wish me luck boys! LOL

Thanks to all that contributed. Well done!

Good call.  I broke mine in at a carbine class over the weekend.  Worth every penny.

Joined: 2JAN2004

Location: South Florida

Hey troops, quick question to owners for the Crye G3, so I had to send my back and get a smaller waist size, no big deal Crye CS was "good to go" however in picking a replacement size, I wanted to get some "feedback" on the length of the inseam? so I usually take a 32" inseam which seems to be OK across the board, however that seemed a little long on the G3, can anyone who uses or ordered the "short" version give me an idea of the length? Crye gives you an "average" on the website? so "short" is 26.5 to 29.5? Did any owners find that it was on the "shorter" side? Thanks

Certified Glock, S&W, SIG  Armourer

Colt, REM Armourer

Originally Posted by cashonlycow:

On the same vein...has anyone tried the Beyond A5 Brokk softshell trousers?

 

They're on sale right on beyondclothing.com and my size is(was) in stock for a pretty good price. I believe it's even that magical Durastretch Tweave material.

I was just on the beyond website, and could have sworn they were asking about $600 for a pair of their rain pants.

 

Six.  Hundred.  Dollars.  

 

“One sometimes gets the impression that the mere words ‘Socialism’ and ‘Communism’ draw towards them with magnetic force every fruit-juice drinker, nudist, sandal-wearer, sex-maniac, Quaker, ‘Nature Cure’ quack, pacifist, and feminist in England,”  -George Orwell-

Don't know if it was mentioned in here but, Beyond participates in a prodeal program with GovX.  That is a limited assortment of products but the discount is fairly significant.  They also offer a MIL/LE discount via their website which I believe was talked about already.

------------------------------

 

Don't look at me in that tone of voice

 

Originally Posted by BSO:

Hey troops, quick question to owners for the Crye G3, so I had to send my back and get a smaller waist size, no big deal Crye CS was "good to go" however in picking a replacement size, I wanted to get some "feedback" on the length of the inseam? so I usually take a 32" inseam which seems to be OK across the board, however that seemed a little long on the G3, can anyone who uses or ordered the "short" version give me an idea of the length? Crye gives you an "average" on the website? so "short" is 26.5 to 29.5? Did any owners find that it was on the "shorter" side? Thanks

Can't help you there, I wear their long inseam.

Joined: 2JAN2004

Location: South Florida

Well "all's good that ends good" heard from my buddy MM and the short is 28" so that may help future owners. I sticking with the "regular" at 32", I'm a bit shy of that but it works for me. Thanks troops. 

Certified Glock, S&W, SIG  Armourer

Colt, REM Armourer

Add Reply

Likes (2)
MOJONIXONMG in TX
Post
Copyright Lightfighter Tactical Forum 2002-2019
×
×
×
×
×